Thursday, January 17, 2008

How High is Your Pile of Books to Read?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket







Photobucket
http://usingbooksforfree.blogspot.com/




Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them!
How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read hem.
Arnold Lobel

http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/39056.html




http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Lobel








Regarding Links on this Library Blog

Photobucket




    • Be sure and check out the library links to the right occasionally.


    • Notice that this blog has a link to the Library's Online Catalog System.


    • Just a reminder--to return to the blog page from a link, you must continue to click the blue left arrow at the top of your browser page until you return to the blog page,


    • If you have any suggestions for good book/ reading/ reference Internet links, let me know at hoff_bob2003@yahoo.com Thank you.





    Where did all the paperbacks go?

    Category: Writing and Poetry

    Where did all the paperback books go at Carlsbad Public Library? Don't worry--they're still here. We moved them from their location by the windows to the northwest corner of the library--where the genealogy section used to be. The genealogy books have moved to the closed stacks, but are still available if you ask the library staff to help you find what you want.The paperbacks are now shelved in a much more convenient manner for our library patrons--instead of being on turning racks, they're on actual bookshelves, which makes for much easier browsing. They are arranged in the categories of romance, mystery, general fiction, fantasy, western, science fiction, and non-fiction.Why move the books in the first place? Well, we wanted to extend several of the shelves in our adult fiction area so we can add more books, and we had to move the paperback racks out of the way in order to do that. If you're not sure where the northwest corner of the library is, be sure to ask one of our library staff--we'll be happy to show you!..
    Currently reading : Anything for Jane: A Novel By Cheryl Mendelson Release date: 31 July, 2007 (From Beth's Carlsbad Public Library Blog at: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=199468252

    Note: See Beth's link above and be sure to visit her site for much useful library, books, and reading information.



    Book Review: The Kissing Hand

    Photobucket
    Now it might occur to you how does a man in my age bracket (which is certainly a lot older than I was several years ago) come to reaf a book titled The Kissing Hand.
  • First it was one of the several books that she bought for our grandson at a recent school bookfair. I have always had a partialality to raccoons ever since we lived at Carlsbad Caverns in the 1970s and we had raccoons that raided that raided our trash can so I jumped into this children's storybook about raccoons. The dedication by author Audrey Penn caught my eye; it reads "To Stefanie Rebecca Koren and children everywhere who loved to be loved." I'm thinking right way that children who loved to be loved takes in most children, wouldn't you imagine?

    The story starts with Chester Raccoon crying to his mother that he doesn't want to start school (night school at that), but that for a variety of reasons that he expresses he would rather stay home with her. To encourage Chester, Mama reveals a secret that she learned from her Mama, a secret that includes kissing and hands. Read this enchanting story to your young children facing separation anxiety And see the new gift that Chester receives from his Mama.

    I saw this 1993 book recent in a local bookstore and found out that it was once ranked as #1 on a New York Times Bestseller list.

    Our Library call number for The Kissing Hand is: J-E Pen

    Review from Barnes and Noble:

    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781933718002&tabname=custreview&itm=2



    Bookstore Job

I have been workiing pert-time in a bookstore for about two months and have found it very educational--about books, about reading, about people. During parts of my last three shifts I have been alphabetizing soft-cover and hard-cover children's storybooks-what an amaziing variety of such storybooks exist, and of course, I am only seeing a fraction of what is on the larger market. If I bought every book that I liked for my grandson, I believe that I would be spending more at the store than I am making.

Many people finding out that I work at a bookstore comment that it is a perfect place for me because they know how much I like books. I am surprised how many people think that workiing in a bookstore allows lots of time for personal reading. Actually it allows no time for reading--except for scanning the tag for what category the book should be filed in and looking at the author's name to see how the book should be alphabetized.

My main pet peeve is that some of the customers, it seems to me, abuse the books and magazines, treating the bookstore like a library, and in the process, not taking very good care of the stores books and magazines and other materials. But on the other hand, many people do show consideration in how they treat the items that they are browsing or looking at. A couple friends of mine who are librarians have mentioned that some of the library patrons are disrespectful of the library's properties.

I sure miss the situation that I enjoyed in the National Park Service, helping visitors to enjoy the various park resources where I worked. But when a visitor or visitors decided to not heklp in taking care of the park's resources, those of us working with those visitors could educate them, or in some cases provide for "low level" law enforcement, or higher level law enforcement if that was necessary. In the parks and the bookstore and libraries, some visitors cannot discipline themselves to take care of the resources they use, ensuring that others who folow in their footsteps will have access to resources that have been taken care of.

Higher-level law enforcement officers, in such situations, can help motivate such people.

One fact is for sure--libraries and bookstores both constantly remind me that there isn't enough time to read everything that I feel attracted toward reading.







Libraries are reservoirs of strength,
grace and wit,
reminders of order,
calm and continuity,
lakes of mental energy,
neither warm nor cold,
light nor dark.
The pleasure they give is steady,
unorgastic, reliable,
deep and long-lasting.


Germaine Greer



http://www.librarysupportstaff.com/quotes4lib.html#creative

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germaine_Greer






© Bob Hoff, 2008

No comments: