Sunday, February 24, 2008

"All with one library ticket..."

Photobucket









Photobucket




Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket







I've traveled the world twice over,
Met the famous; saints and sinners,
Poets and artists, kings and queens,
Bold stars and hopeful beginners,
I've been where no-one's been before,
Learned secrets from writers and cooks
All with one library ticket
To the wonderful world of books.
~ Anonymous ~

Reading Quotes




What is the book on the top of the New York Times best seller list for hardback non-fiction for the week of 3/2/08? Fifty three-year old Arkansas-born author John Grisham's The Appeal, a book that our library holds. Here is what the New York Times said about it:

NYT's Review of The Appeal
John Grisham at Wikipedia

The Wikipedia article reveals that Grisham has sold quite a few books in his time. Have you ever read one? Do you like novels by him? Who is your favorite novelist to read and why? Send your thoughts to share with other readers. All I will include, with your permission is your first name. So email your thoughts to me at address above.

Another subject that I would like to hear from you on is what books you read as a younger person that turned you on to reading. It is my experience that people who like to read many times like to talk about reading and books. So e-mail your thoughts to me at address above.

I would like to recommend a science fictiion book that I read several years ago, entitled Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus by Orson Scott Card. The ideas advanced in this book will flabbergast you in their novelty and concept, I'm willing to betcha' . And our library has it in the SCI-FIC section, alphabetized by "CAR."

I am 80 pages into The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. This book is absolutely spell-binding. Check it out at the library. In the general fiction section--HOSS
The Kite Runner at The New York Times
Khaled Hosseini at Wikipedia



Photobucket
Damu-- the wonder dog (we wonder why we keep him) seen here with his master (the master of us and a lot of other people as well). Master loves to play video games; meanwhile we are buying him loots of books, reading to him and asking him to pretend read to us. The other night, he asked Grandma (my wife on my family's side), "Grandma, will you read my favorite book to me?" This from a 32 month old who we didn't know had a favorite book. Ah, the glow of contentment is still with us. I can't explain the height and width of the satisfaction that arose from Grandma hearing this and relaying it later to the then sleeping grandpa (me; on my side of the family)





Read not to contradict and confute;
nor to believe and take for granted;
nor to find talk and discourse;
but to weigh and consider.
Some books are to be tasted,
others to be swallowed,
and some few to be chewed and digested:
that is,some books are to be read only in parts,
others to be read, but not curiously,
and some fewto be read wholly,
and with diligence and attention.
Francis Bacon

Reading Quotes
Frences Bacon at Wikipedia







© Bob Hoff, 2008





No comments: