Wednesday, March 05, 2008

"New books for those in pursuit of a little romance.."

Photobucket









Photobucket




Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket






When I read about the way in which library funds are being cut and cut, I can only think that American society has found one more way to destroy itself.

Isaac Asimov
Isaac Asimov at Brainy Quote.com
Isaac Asimov at Wikipedia



Did you know that Isaac Asimov, who died at the age of 72, wrote and edited more than 500 books? Furthermore, during his lifetime, he was considered one of the "big- three" science-fiction writers.



My progress report and my need of new adjective: In my last post I said that I was about 80 pages into The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and that it was spell-binding I am about another 100 pages further and this book has turned into "gripping" (is that stronger than spell-binding?) What a great read! Highly recommended by many others, not just me. Visit Mr. Hosseini's web page at:
Khaled Hosseini on the Web





From Beth's Blog, January 11, 2008
"New books for those in pursuit of a little romance"

I've seen Valentine decorations up in the stores already! Ladies, if you're single and dating, ever wonder what the men are thinking? You need wonder no longer, because Steve Santagati, author and television personality, has penned the very frank tell-all book The MANual to help you out. Quite an eye-opener! If you'd rather live in a princess/handsome prince fantasy world, don't read this--it's like having your older brother clue you in before your big date. For teen girls who have similar questions, I recommend 60 Clues About Guys: A Guide to Feelings, Flirting and Falling in Like, by Roxanne Camron.

I'm not trying to ignore the men, but there don't seem to be a lot of books written on how to understand women. (I don't need a book to tell me what the guys are thinking about *that* statement.) There's Dr. John Gray, with his Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus series, which is a bestseller internationally; however, I note that it does have a chapter titled "How to give up trying to change a man!" Romance need not end when the marriage vows are said. For tips on how to stay close to your spouse, try The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman or 10 Great Dates to Revitalize Your Marriage by David and Claudia Arp. For those still on the dating scene, we have several titles, including Boomer's Guide to Dating (Again), by Dr. Laurie Helgoe for those over fifty, Absolute Beginner's Guide to Online Dating by Greg Holden, and Easy Does It Dating Guide: For People in Recovery, by Mary Falkner, focusing on how to stay with your twelve-step program while finding a mate.Clearly, the message here is: it's not too late to find someone special--so if you need some ideas or encouragement, stop by the library to find a book that's just right for you.
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=199468252
Thanks, Beth, for these recommendations. The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman is on my To Read List. I have browsed through it and it looks very interesting. I think that the subject of men-women relationships is a fascinating one, and if I am pressed long and persistently enough, someday I may have to write down by long years of accumulated wisdom on that subject. (Yes, I am indeed mocking myself in that preceding sentence.)


In my February 24 post I mentioned that our grandson surprised us by asking PhotobucketGrandma to read his favorite book (You're My Little Love Bug)to him when we didn't even know that he had a favorite book, for goodness sakes. By the way, he selected it as his favorite book BEFORE we put his picture into it. Now we are reading some PhotobucketDick and Jane books to him that he seems to like. He also likes Spot the Dog and Puff the cat. I didn't realize until today that the Dick and Jane series fell under criticism. See
Dick and Jane at Wikipedia

It wasn't until later in life that I found out that having to read Dick and Jane books in Freshman English meant that I was in a slow reader class. So what--I enjoyed the plots and the colorful illustrations even then, and heck, I did get a B- in the class (with just a little bit of tutoring)




Check out this great books link at Wikipedia, will you? I think that you'll enjoy.

Portal: Books at Wikipedia I have added it to my blog's links to the right.

Don't forget to spend some time as much as you can reading something that you enjoy. Even if you have to put off some housework for a while. :) (Don't let my adorable wife see this, please)


© Bob Hoff, 2008

No comments: